Palm oil is ubiquitous, present in the soap and shampoo you use in the morning, to the instant noodles and pizza at lunch time… and we can’t forget the chocolate and ice cream midnight snacks!
The list of products containing palm oil is endless. But avoiding palm oil (namely in your food) might be easier than you think…all you need is a bit of creativity! There are so many ways of substituting food products that contain palm oil for those that are palm oil free. In fact, i’ve been trying out some substitutes in light of my new palm oil free/sustainable palm oil diet.
If you want to try this out too, here’s a brief list of palm oil products and some ideas for their respective palm oil free substitutes, or just simply products that don’t contain palm oil!
- Ben and Jerry’s
- Booja Booja
- Make your own ice cream or sorbet! There are some really easy and delicious recipes out there… like this one!
- Cauliflower based pizza
- Quinoa-Polenta Pizza
COOKIES AND BISCUITS
- Oat and banana cookies
- Peanut butter cookies (which only contain 3 ingredients...I will definitely be making these soon!). If you’re looking for palm oil free nut butters, there are quite a few brands within my retailer section.
- Unfortunately palm oil is used in the production of most packaged breads, so it might be easier to make your own bread! But don’t worry there are some simple recipes, like this one! Or you could go to your local bakery, and check that there’s no palm oil in their bread.
- Divine chocolate (all types)
- Guylian chocolate seashells
- You can find more palm oil free chocolate brands here!
More brands that sell palm oil free products can be found in my ‘retailers’ section here!
After having found out that Ben & Jerry’s, Toblerone and Guylian chocolate seashells contain no palm oil, it’s safe to say that ecstatic was an understatement!
I realise that some of the home-made alternatives might be more time consuming to make… but what’s a little time for the environment!
Love Palm Oil?